Help Guide: Renting Out A Granny Flat
History has a habit of repeating itself… there was once a a time when having a granny flat and renting it out was a standard Australian tradition. Over time, they gradually became out of fashion, however what once was old is new again and they’ve made a triumphant return in recent years. The NSW government in particular is encouraging homeowners to build and rent out granny flats and savvy homeowners are more than happy to oblige! If you are considering adding a granny flat to your property as an investment and renting it out, there are a few tips we’ve gathered to help with the process.
Granny Flat Incentives
- A complying granny flat may be approved by council or accredited certifier within 20 days (for more information on what complies see this article)
- Permission to build granny flats in all residential areas in complying blocks of landing with a minimum 450m2
- Provision of clear, easy to understand standards of granny flat construction.
Granny Flat Restrictions
- A granny flat may be included in a new home design or added to an existing dwelling.
- It can be an integrated part of your house (e.g. a home with attached granny flat), but must be a self-contained dwelling with separate entrance, bathroom and kitchen facilities.
- Only one house and one granny flat are permitted on a property.
- The granny flat may not exceed 60m2 in size or the size prescribed by your local council
- The granny flat must comply
Set in the rolling plains of Rothbury, right in the heartland of the Hunter Valley wine region, the new boutique Huntlee Estate is a picture-perfect location. And the estate now features a brand-new and highly desirable family home on a spacious site.
Downsizing can be a tough decision to make, but here at Acrow Investments, we ensure the outcome is worth it. This recent project is a testament to the benefits … The clients of this project came to us with the vision of building a second home in the backyard of their existing property – and then move into it!
Having such strong ties with the communities we work in, Acrow Investments hosted our first Biggest Morning Tea to raise vital funds to assist those impacted by cancer. Our team put together an amazing spread for an amazing cause, including some fantastic Acrow cupcakes and cookies from local Central Coast business Milk+Butter Bakery, with every dollar raised going to the Cancer Council to support research and provide care services.